Founded in 1995, the Western Family History Association is a genealogy group based in County Galway. As the only amateur family history society in Galway, we are a self-help group for members and organise regular lectures, workshops and other events on genealogy and family history in their broadest sense.
The objectives of the Association are:
- To promote the study of Irish family history and genealogy.
- To promote the recording of gravestone inscriptions.
- To promote the preservation, security and accessibility of archival material.
- To advise all those interested in seeking their Irish roots.
- To encourage the repatriation of information from overseas on Irish emigrants.
- To establish a reference library for the use of members.
- To collaborate with and support other societies with similar aims.
To achieve these objectives, the Association organises lectures, seminars and workshops on topics related to genealogy and family history.
The WFHA Constitution was adopted at the AGM held in January 2012.