Some Families from the Shores of Lough Corrib, with Paul Greaney
A Genealogy Group based in Galway
Founded in 1995, the Western Family History Association is a genealogy association based in Galway, Ireland. Home counties of members include Galway, Clare, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim, with some members coming from as far afield as Cork. It is a self-help group for its members and does not carry out research.
The Association typically holds 5 meetings per annum, together with a number of other activities throughout the year. In addition, the Association provides a continually expanding library of genealogical and historical books for members’ usage, which is available monthly.
Our regular meetings are held in Lackagh Parish Centre, Lackagh, Co. Galway. All lectures are free of charge and open to the public. A list of forthcoming meetings is available here. We encourage all of those interested in family history to come along to our meetings, and if interested, to join the association.
Some benefits to members include:
- Learn how to trace your family history, genealogy and ancestry.
- By attending and participating in the meetings of the WFHA you get to benefit from the experience and expertise of members ranging from beginners to those who have several years experience in tracing their family history.
- Access to the latest information presented by expert speakers including how to access family records, census data, emigrant data and the latest developments in genealogy, such as, the digitisation of family records, births, marriages and deaths and information on how genetics can be used to help trace ancestry.
- Discuss and exchange information and ideas which can influence discovery of new individual insights and perspectives on family history and genealogy.
- Join in tours to selected venues and sites relevant to the progress of knowledge and technical expertise in tracing family history.
- Automatic membership of the WFHA library, which contains 286 books and 21 CDs on related topics.
- Automatic access to the online Members Area, containing information, lecture slides and recordings of previous lectures.
Should you wish to become a member, you can come along to a meeting and join there, or join online via PayPal. The committee is pleased to have recently reduced the annual subscription to €20. The association also welcomes members from overseas, offering a reduced annual subscription.